Wednesday 29 April 2009

Michelle Bachmann blames Depression on FDR's "Hoot Smalley"

Okay, I love a good "dumb Republican" joke, but it's not often that the clowns make me spew soda all over my computer. So now that I have paper-toweled my screen, I will post this with a big hat tip to TPM:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/04/historian-michele-bachmann-blames-fdrs-hoot-smalley-tariffs-for-great-depression.php?ref=fp2

Bachmann took to the House floor and paid tribute to the economic policies of Calvin Coolidge and the "Roaring 20s" (the era that ended with a massive monetary contraction and the Great Depression). One particular line really does stand out, though -- saying Franklin Roosevelt turned a recession into a depression through the "Hoot-Smalley" tariffs. Here's what really happened: When Franklin Roosevelt took office, unemployment was already about 25%. And the tariff referred to here was actually the Smoot-Hawley bill, co-authored by Republicans Sen. Reed Smoot of Utah and Rep. Willis Hawley of Oregon, and signed into law by President Herbert Hoover.

Additional information on what really happened, here in the real world, is at

http://hellodollyllama.blogspot.com/2009/04/gop-lies-about-fdr-and-government.html



The original TPM link at the top includes Bachmann's audio. I wonder if it was recorded it Dobly?

No comments: